Sunday, September 2, 2012

And so the journey begins...

So where did I get this idea?  Who wakes up one day and is like, "I know I'm going to get rid of all processed foods.  Yah, that sounds like a great idea."  Well I think it was looming for quite some time.  I was getting tired of giving my children crackers, granola bars, etc. that were said to be healthy, but I kinda of knew they weren't really.  They were whole wheat.  But, what about all those extra ingredients I didn't know what they were? Things like inverted sugar, calcium phosphate, turmeric oleoresin, malt syrup, oligofructose, polydextrose, diacetyl tartaric and soy lecithin.  And partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup, well I knew those were bad.  But, hey that's what's available, right?  Then there was the meat, it just didn't look so good.  What about those chicken breasts that weighed a pound and a half.  Come on, I knew chickens don't grow like that normally.  So, what are they doing to make them grow like that.  The milk that tasted pretty much like water, hmm.  I also noticed that I was gaining some weight and feeling lethargic most of the day even though I was eating "healthy", living an active life and sleeping at least seven hours a night.  "Why do I feel like this", I wondered.  I came across an article that said "Are these "healthy" foods making you fat?".  Hmm, I thought I better take a look at this.  Most on the list I knew about margarine, artificial sweetners, orange juice.  But, what caught my eye was whole wheat bread.  Whole wheat bread!  I eat that everyday, and most of the products I eat are whole wheat.  It was linked to a forty minute video.  I was interested, had the time, so I watched it.  It was eye opening and thought "Hey, what could I loose.  I will try it."  It was for Beyond Diet.  It's more than a diet to loose weight (I wasn't interested in that).  It was a website put together in a way that made it easier for me to eat healthy and make better food choice.  I tried her suggested meal plan and after the first day was floored at how much better I felt.  It's been about three weeks now and the positive changes have not stopped.  I have felt great the whole time (except for when I accidentally bought sprouted wheat bread instead of sprouted whole grain bread, more on that later)  I'm not following it exactly because I'm not interested in loosing weight.  But, I love their recipe share, her daily articles about eating better and her resources about where to find healthy food.  I'm on a mission to make this work for the entire family especially small children.  The benefits are great and I want you to partake in them also.  So, I will share my findings with you as I take this journey in changing our diet for the healthier.  Here's to better eating (without extra time and money spent)!

No comments:

Post a Comment