Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week One: New Bread

The first week.  I changed the bread products.


Remember my first post about the whole wheat bread.  I knew I had to get rid of the Aunt Millies or the Koepplingers's that I use to buy.  Our bodies are not made to digest the high amounts of carbohydrates that are consumed in the "typical diet".  I'm talking about bread, cereal, pasta, corn (a grain, not a vegetable), rice, potatoes, and processed cakes and snacks.  Oh yes, I was eating at least one of those things for every meal and snack and so were my kids.  Sometimes my snacks were purely one of those things.  Cutting out carbs is not the answer though.  It's changing your perspective of what a carb is.  Fruits and vegetables are also high in carbohydrates.

My new and only bread is the Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 (seen above).  It's organic, free of preservatives and a sprouted whole grain bread.  Yes, that was a new term for me too.  The process of sprouting changes a grain’s composition in numerous ways to make it more beneficial. The sprouting process greatly increases the content of vitamins.  Sprouting also breaks down the complex sugars responsible for intestinal gas and transforms a portion of the starch into sugar. It also inactivates aflatoxins, which are toxins produced by fungus and potent carcinogens often found in grains (Chek 2004).  I was amazed that this bread was actually available at the Meijer I typically shopped at, but in the freezer.  Which I keep it in at home, since it's shelf life is a day without the preservatives.  The gluten free tortillas were next to them so I picked up a package of those since eating tortillas for lunch is typical for us.  So what's the price tag you are wondering for this wonderful bread?  Well at Meijer it is $4.59, but I found it at Trader Joes for closer to $4.00 and it was $3.00 on sale at a nearby "specialty health store".  But, it is very thinly sliced so a loaf lasts my husband and I pretty close to a week. I highly recommend you try it just once!

Now for my kids, they were not into it.  So, I buy a organic multigrain bread for them at Trader Joe's.  Therefore, hitting my goals of reducing the gluten (with the other grains than wheat) and eliminating the preservatives (mystery ingredients) in the bread.  They like it better than the old bread and it's about a dollar more than the old stuff.  But, it fills them up faster, so they only need a slice and typically would eat two slices of the old stuff.  So, it's probably equivalent in the end.

While I was at Trader Joe's I got them whole wheat tortillas too.  The rice tortillas were not a hit with them either.  They are crispy when you heat them, turning close to a chip.  They don't like crispy (I however do).  There are so many "interesting" ingredients in tortillas, seriously take a look.  Got rid of those this week. 

I also ditched the idea of buns.  The gluten free ones I found were not natural.  I'm sure natural ones are out there.  I haven't found them yet.  But, the kids still get the whole wheat, preservative free buns from Trader Joe's.  I use my SWG bread for now or sometimes use a different carb like potatoes.  For me I enjoy a cheese burger without the bun with a side of oven roasted potato spears.  No, problem giving up the bun this way. 

So, this was a lot of extra money spent on these organic bread products, right?.  Well, I skipped all the packaged foods I typically buy.  I knew I was going to eliminate them, so I wasn't going to buy replenishment for the pantry.  This week we will eat what we what we have and I actually spent about $30 less this week! 

Summary:

Scratched off the shopping list: 
- the typical shelf bread, tortillas and buns
- all the processed, packaged foods (yikes I better find replacements next week!)

Added: 
-organic, preservative free bread (found in the freezer, quite likely, in regular supermarkets)
- preservative free rice tortillas for the adults (also found in freezers of typical grocery stores)
- whole wheat, preservative free tortillas for the kids 





No comments:

Post a Comment